Create a Dashboard
Dashboards are where Dune's content lives and gets discovered.
Dashboards on Dune consist of widgets. Widgets can either be Visualizations or Text. It is also possible to embed images or GIFs inside of the text widget.
You can freely resize every widget to match the layout you want to create.
Creating a Dashboard¶
To create a dashboard on Dune:
- Use the create menu and pick "New Dashboard"
- Give your Dashboard a name
- Click on "Save and Open"
- You are now inside of your Dashboard
- Enter the edit mode by clicking on the "Edit" button in the top right corner
- Add widgets by clicking on the "Add Widget" button in the top right corner
- Pick the widget you want to add
- You can now resize the widget by dragging the bottom right corner
- You can also move the widget by dragging it around
- Click on the "Save" button in the top right corner to save your changes
The initial name that you give to your Dashboard will also be the URL slug. You can't change the URL slug afterwards, so be mindful of the name you choose. Changing the Dashboard's display name is always possible though.
Add Widgets from the Query Editor¶
You can add widgets directly from the Query Editor.
- Navigate to the query Editor
- Pick the Visualization you want to add to your Dashboard
- Click on the "Add to Dashboard" button
- Choose the Dashboard you want to add the Visualization to
- The Visualization is now added to your Dashboard
The widget will be added to the bottom of your Dashboard. You can move it around and resize it as you like.
Adding Text Widget¶
You can add text widgets to your dashboard.
Text widgets support a subset of Markdown. You can manipulate text and embed images and GIFs.
Embedding Images and GIFs¶
Text boxes can also be used to embed images or GIFs into your Dashboard.
The Syntax for embedding images is:
Since you can't store images locally on our servers, you need to upload your images somewhere else or find the raw file somewhere on the internet.
In practice this might look like this:
You can resize the image by simply resizing the widget it is contained in.
You can combine images and text in one widget.
Keeping your Dashboard up to date¶
Dashboards on Dune are not updated automatically. You can refresh your Dashboard by clicking on the "Run" button in the top right corner.
Alternatively, you can schedule your Dashboard to be refreshed in regular intervals.
To schedule a dashboard:
- Click on the "clock" icon in the top right corner
- Select the frequency you want your Dashboard to be refreshed
- Select the execution tier you want to use
- Click on "Save"
You can also schedule individual queries to be refreshed. This is useful if you have a Dashboard with many queries and only want to refresh a few of them. Learn more about scheduling queries here.
Sharing your Dashboard¶
You can share your public Dashboard by simply sharing the URL. For private dashboards, viewers need to be part of the same team as the team that owns the Dashboard. Alternatively, you can also share your Dashboard with individual users via the "Share" button in the top right corner.